245 North Sixth St., Allentown PA 18102 ask@allentownfoodbank.org 610.821.1332

AAEFB 40th Year Celebration

On October 4th 2018, the Allentown Ecumenical Food Bank celebrated its 40th year of service dedicated to serving the needy people of the Lehigh Valley regardless of race, creed or faith. 

The initial food bank was set up in the basement of St John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Allentown.  It was started by a group of minister in the Allentown area who recognized the need for such a humanitarian service.  The demand became so great that the AAEFB was relocated to its current location at Alliance Hall on the corner of 6th & Chew Streets, Allentown.  It is the only food bank that is open 5 days a week from 9:30AM until 11:45AM.

The food bank continues to serve over 20,000 individuals each year.  Each visit provides our clients with enough groceries for short term relief.  The majority of the food bank’s supply of food comes from The Second Harvest Food Bank.  Additionally, we receive substantial food and monetary donations from individuals, area churches, businesses, scout groups, benevolent organizations and charitable trusts. 

The daily operations of the food bank is supported by faithful volunteers from over 30 churches.  The unpaid Board of Directors maintains control of all finances and oversees the operation of the food bank with regard to its by-laws.

On behalf of the Allentown Area Ecumenical Food Bank, the Board of Directors would like to express its sincere gratitude to all the volunteers and organizations who give so freely of their time, energy and assets to allow us to continue our mission to provide relief to the hungry in the Lehigh County.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *